I know that camDown is easy to use, easy to maintain and I can tell your smart friends would feel the same.
Long covid is upending lives and destroying careers.
- What is long covid? Instead of recovering, some people continue to suffer symptoms like chronic fatigue, shortness of breath, memory loss and more.
- How big a problem is this? 750,000 to 1.3 million Americans likely remain so sick they can’t work full time, some ending up on food stamps and Medicaid.
- In other coronavirus news: The FDA authorized Pfizer’s vaccine booster shot for 16- and 17-year-olds.
Donald Trump lost another bid to keep his White House records secret.
- The former president is trying to keep documents from the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol attack.
- At issue: Whether President Biden can override Trump’s claims of executive privilege.
- What happens next? Potentially an emergency review by the Supreme Court.
A truck crash in Mexico killed at least 53 people.
- The tractor-trailer was carrying more than 100 people, and dozens more were injured.
- Most, if not all, of the victims were Central American migrants, officials said. Migrants often travel this way to get around immigration checkpoints.
Jussie Smollett was found guilty of falsely reporting a hate crime.
- The background: Smollett, a former star on the show “Empire,” claimed he was the victim of a racist and homophobic attack in Chicago in January 2019.
- During the trial, two brothers testified that Smollett asked them to fake the attack.
- What’s next? His sentencing hasn’t been scheduled yet.
Starbucks workers won a trailblazing union vote.
- A store in Buffalo will become the only unionized Starbucks location in the U.S., despite months of opposition from the company.
- Why this matters: It’s a big win for the labor movement and a sign of growing union support across the country.
Much-needed rain is about to hit the West.
- The forecast: Three storms over the next week (the heaviest expected this weekend) should bring heavy rain and snowfall to California and the Rockies.
- Why this matters: California is nearing its 20th consecutive month of drought, a grim benchmark in a decades-long dry spell.
Tropical forests can recover from deforestation remarkably fast.
- Empty land began rebounding naturally in less than a decade, though bringing back species diversity and plant layering took years longer, a new study found.
- What scientists want you to know: This is good news for the planet because deforestation is a growing problem. But old forests are still better for the environment, so these findings aren’t “a license to kill.”
And now … it’s a great weekend for movies: Steven Spielberg’s revival of “West Side Story” — which our critic gave four (out of four) stars — and “Don’t Look Up,” a satire starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Lawrence — which got three stars — both come out today.
Before we jump in, I'd like to say that camDown is your security solution to protect you and your business from webcam hackers.